Thursday, January 28, 2010

Computer Geek or Firefighter-Sept. 2009

I used to think that living my life for God meant that I would immediately lose all the hair follicles in the middle of the back of my head, wear a brown canvas bag, and sing in Latin for the rest of my life. Fortunately for me, and for the rest of the sighted world, that is not the case.

Growing up homeschooled (should be a movie coming out soon…rated PG for scary shots of me trying to wake up at 0600 as a boy of 10) was an experience that is for sure. Seeing my Dad lead the family I quickly learned who I wanted to be like when I grew up (if I grow up…). I always enjoyed hiking and camping outside with my Dad, and I really loved firefighting, so I went to ALERT and graduated with my firefighting credentials to be a full-time firefighter.

After serving in the Army for two years and seeing God stretch me in some areas I had not been stretched before I definitely saw His hand direct me to help my family in the care of my youngest brother Bob (4 years old) who has leukemia.

With no Army service, and no real job prospects at the time, I had a lot of praying and reflecting to do and realized that maybe God wanted me to serve in the Computer Information Technology area. Having a lot of time on computers (video games, growing up with one at home, etc) I feel it may be my next mission field. We shall see what the next page shall hold in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment